adplus-dvertising
frame-decoration

Question

In which one of the following page replacement algorithms it is possible for the page fault rate to increase even when the number of allocated frames increases?

a.

LRU (Least Recently Used)

b.

OPT (Optimal Page Replacement)

c.

MRU (Most Recently Used)

d.

FIFO (First In First Out)

Answer: (d).FIFO (First In First Out)

Engage with the Community - Add Your Comment

Confused About the Answer? Ask for Details Here.

Know the Explanation? Add it Here.

Q. In which one of the following page replacement algorithms it is possible for the page fault rate to increase even when the number of allocated frames increases?

Similar Questions

Discover Related MCQs

Q. The address sequence generated by tracing a particular program executing in a pure demand paging system with 100 bytes per page is
0100, 0200, 0430, 0499, 0510, 0530, 0560, 0120, 0220, 0240, 0260, 0320, 0410.
Suppose that the memory can store only one page and if x is the address which causes a page fault then the bytes from addresses x to x + 99 are loaded on to the memory.
How many page faults will occur ?

Q. A paging scheme uses a Translation Look-aside Buffer (TLB). A TLB-access takes 10 ns and a main memory access takes 50 ns. What is the effective access time(in ns) if the TLB hit ratio is 90% and there is no page-fault?

Q. Assume that a main memory with only 4 pages, each of 16 bytes, is initially empty. The CPU generates the following sequence of virtual addresses and uses the Least Recently Used (LRU) page replacement policy.
0, 4, 8, 20, 24, 36, 44, 12, 68, 72, 80, 84, 28, 32, 88, 92
How many page faults does this sequence cause? What are the page numbers of the pages present in the main memory at the end of the sequence?

Q. Consider a computer with a 4-ways set-associative mapped cache of the following characteristics: a total of 1 MB of main memory, a word size of 1 byte, a block size of 128 words and a cache size of 8 KB. The number of bits in the TAG, SET and WORD fields, respectively are:

Q. Consider a computer with a 4-ways set-associative mapped cache of the following characteristics: a total of 1 MB of main memory, a word size of 1 byte, a block size of 128 words and a cache size of 8 KB. While accessing the memory location 0C795H by the CPU, the contents of the TAG field of the corresponding cache line is

Q. Which of the following is major part of time taken when accessing data on the disk?

Q. We describe a protocol of input device communication below. a. Each device has a distinct address b. The bus controller scans each device in sequence of increasing address value to determine if the entity wishes to communicate. c. The device ready to communicate leaves it data in IO register. d. The data is picked up and the controller moves to step-a above. Identify the form of communication best describes the IO mode among the following:

Q. Among the following given scenarios determine the right one to justify interrupt mode of data-transfer.

Q. Normally user programs are prevented from handling I/O directly by I/O instructions in them. For CPUs having explicit I/O instructions, such I/O protection is ensured by having the I/O instructions privileged. In a CPU with memory mapped I/O, there is no explicit I/O instruction. Which one of the following is true for a CPU with memory mapped I/O?

Q. Which of the following disk scheduling policies results in minimum amount of head movement.

Q. Consider a hard disk with 16 recording surfaces (0-15) having 16384 cylinders (0-16383) and each cylinder contains 64 sectors (0-63). Data storage capacity in each sector is 512 bytes. Data are organized cylinder-wise and the addressing format is (cylinder no., surface no., sector no.) . A file of size 42797 KB is stored in the disk and the starting disk location of the file is (1200, 9, 40). What is the cylinder number of the last sector of the file, if it is stored in a contiguous manner?

Q. A file system with 300 GByte disk uses a file descriptor with 8 direct block addresses, 1 indirect block address and 1 doubly indirect block address. The size of each disk block is 128 Bytes and the size of each disk block address is 8 Bytes. The maximum possible file size in this file system is

Q. A computer handles several interrupt sources of which the following are relevant for this question.

. Interrupt from CPU temperature sensor (raises interrupt if
CPU temperature is too high)
. Interrupt from Mouse(raises interrupt if the mouse is moved
or a button is pressed)
. Interrupt from Keyboard(raises interrupt when a key is
pressed or released)
. Interrupt from Hard Disk(raises interrupt when a disk
read is completed)

Which one of these will be handled at the HIGHEST priority?

Q. An application loads 100 libraries at start-up. Loading each library requires exactly one disk access. The seek time of the disk to a random location is given as 10 ms. Rotational speed of disk is 6000 rpm. If all 100 libraries are loaded from random locations on the disk, how long does it take to load all libraries? (The time to transfer data from the disk block once the head has been positioned at the start of the block may be neglected)

Q. A CPU generally handles an interrupt by executing an interrupt service routine

Q. A hard disk has 63 sectors per track, 10 platters each with 2 recording surfaces and 1000 cylinders. The address of a sector is given as a triple (c, h, s), where c is the cylinder number, h is the surface number and s is the sector number. Thus, the 0th sector is addressed as (0, 0, 0), the 1st sector as (0, 0, 1), and so on The address (400,16,29) corresponds to sector number:

Q. The data blocks of a very large file in the Unix file system are allocated using

Q. For a magnetic disk with concentric circular tracks, the seek latency is not linearly proportional to the seek distance due to

Q. Which of the following statements about synchronous and asynchronous I/O is NOT true?

Q. Consider a disk pack with 16 surfaces, 128 tracks per surface and 256 sectors per track. 512 bytes of data are stored in a bit serial manner in a sector. The capacity of the disk pack and the number of bits required to specify a particular sector in the disk are respectively: