adplus-dvertising
frame-decoration

Question

For which one of the following reasons does Internet Protocol (IP) use the time-to- live (TTL) field in the IP datagram header

a.

Ensure packets reach destination within that time

b.

Discard packets that reach later than that time

c.

Prevent packets from looping indefinitely

d.

Limit the time for which a packet gets queued in intermediate routers

Answer: (c).Prevent packets from looping indefinitely

Engage with the Community - Add Your Comment

Confused About the Answer? Ask for Details Here.

Know the Explanation? Add it Here.

Q. For which one of the following reasons does Internet Protocol (IP) use the time-to- live (TTL) field in the IP datagram header

Similar Questions

Discover Related MCQs

Q. Consider the following three statements about link state and distance vector routing protocols, for a large network with 500 network nodes and 4000 links.

[S1] The computational overhead in link state protocols
is higher than in distance vector protocols.
[S2] A distance vector protocol (with split horizon)
avoids persistent routing loops, but not a link
state protocol.
[S3] After a topology change, a link state protocol
will converge faster than a distance vector
protocol.

Which one of the following is correct about S1, S2, and S3 ?

Q. Which one of the following is TRUE about interior Gateway routing protocols - Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)?

Q. An IP machine Q has a path to another IP machine H via three IP routers R1, R2, and R3.

Q—R1—R2—R3—H

H acts as an HTTP server, and Q connects to H via HTTP and downloads a file. Session layer encryption is used, with DES as the shared key encryption protocol. Consider the following four pieces of information:

[I1] The URL of the file downloaded by Q
[I2] The TCP port numbers at Q and H
[I3] The IP addresses of Q and H
[I4] The link layer addresses of Q and H

Which of I1, I2, I3, and I4 can an intruder learn through sniffing at R2 alone?

Q. Host A (on TCP/IP v4 network A) sends an IP datagram D to host B (also on TCP/IP v4 network B). Assume that no error occurred during the transmission of D. When D reaches B, which of the following IP header field(s) may be different from that of the original datagram D?

(i) TTL
(ii) Checksum
(iii) Fragment Offset

Q. Classless Inter-domain Routing (CIDR) receives a packet with address 131.23.151.76. The router’s routing table has the following entries:

Prefix Output Interface Identifier
131.16.0.0/12 3
131.28.0.0/14 5
131.19.0.0/16 2
131.22.0.0/15 1

The identifier of the output interface on which this packet will be forwarded is ______.

Q. Every host in an IPv4 network has a 1-second resolution real-time clock with battery backup. Each host needs to generate up to 1000 unique identifiers per second. Assume that each host has a globally unique IPv4 address. Design a 50-bit globally unique ID for this purpose. After what period (in seconds) will the identifiers generated by a host wrap around?

Q. An IP router with a Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of 1500 bytes has received an IP packet of size 4404 bytes with an IP header of length 20 bytes. The values of the relevant fields in the header of the third IP fragment generated by the router for this packet are

Q. Two computers C1 and C2 are configured as follows. C1 has IP address 203.197.2.53 and netmask 255.255.128.0. C2 has IP address 203.197.75.201 and netmask 255.255.192.0. which one of the following statements is true?

Q. Station A needs to send a message consisting of 9 packets to Station B using a sliding window (window size 3) and go-back-n error control strategy. All packets are ready and immediately available for transmission. If every 5th packet that A transmits gets lost (but no acks from B ever get lost), then what is the number of packets that A will transmit for sending the message to B?

Q. The address resolution protocol (ARP) is used for

Q. In a packet switching network, packets are routed from source to destination along a single path having two intermediate nodes. If the message size is 24 bytes and each packet contains a header of 3 bytes, then the optimum packet size is:

Q. The routing table of a router is shown below:

Destination Sub net mask Interface
128.75.43.0 255.255.255.0 Eth0
128.75.43.0 255.255.255.128 Eth1
192.12.17.5 255.255.255.255 Eth3
default Eth2

On which interfaces will the router forward packets addressed to destinations 128.75.43.16 and 192.12.17.10 respectively?

Q. Which of the following assertions is FALSE about the Internet Protocol (IP) ?

Q. Routers forward a packet using forwarding table entries. The network address of incoming packet may match multiple entries. How routers resolve this?

Q. Which one of the following fields of an IP header is NOT modified by a typical IP router?

Q. In the network 200.10.11.144/27, the fourth octet (in decimal) of the last IP address of the network which can be assigned to a host is ________.

Q. If a Company require 60 hosts then What is the best possible subnet mask?

Q. In class C , if subnet mask is 255.255.255.224, then calculates number of subnet?

Q. A subnet has been assigned a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192. What is the maximum number of hosts that can belong to this subnet?

Q. A host is connected to a Department network which is part of a University network. The University network, in turn, is part of the Internet. The largest network in which the Ethernet address of the host is unique is: