This program takes a binary number as input and converts it to octal. Octal numbers have the base as 8.
C program to convert an binary number to octal - Source code
/* C Program to Convert Binary to Octal */
long int binary_num, octal_num = 0, j = 1, rem;
printf("Enter the binary number: ");
while (binary_num != 0)
rem = binary_num % 10;
binary_num = binary_num / 10;
octal_num = octal_num + rem * j;
j = j * 2;
printf("Equivalent octal value: %lo", octal_num);
Enter the binary number: 10101101
Equivalent octal value: 255
1. Take a binary number as input and store it in the variable binary_num.
2. Obtain the remainder and quotient of the input number by dividing it by 10.
3. Multiply the obtained remainder with variable j and increment the variable octal_num with this value.
4. Increment the variable j by multiplying it with 2 and override the variable binary_num with the quotient obtained.
5. Repeat the steps 2-4 until the variable binary_num becomes zero.
6. Print the variable octal_num as output.