adplus-dvertising
frame-decoration

Question

Consider a system with 2 level cache. Access times of Level 1 cache, Level 2 cache and main memory are 0.5 ns, 5 ns and 100 ns respectively. The hit rates of Level 1 and Level 2 caches are 0.7 and 0.8 respectively. What is the average access time of the system ignoring the search time within the cache?

a.

35.20 ns

b.

7.55 ns

c.

20.75 ns

d.

24.35 ns

Answer: (b).7.55 ns

Engage with the Community - Add Your Comment

Confused About the Answer? Ask for Details Here.

Know the Explanation? Add it Here.

Q. Consider a system with 2 level cache. Access times of Level 1 cache, Level 2 cache and main memory are 0.5 ns, 5 ns and 100 ns respectively. The hit rates of Level 1 and Level 2...

Similar Questions

Discover Related MCQs

Q. To overcome difficulties in Readers-Writers problem, which of the following statement/s is/are true?

(i) Writers are given exclusive access to shared objects
(ii) Readers are given exclusive access to shared objects
(iii) Both Readers and Writers are given exclusive access to shared objects

Q. Suppose a system has 12 instances of some resource with n processes competing for that resource. Each process may require 4 instances of the resource. The maximum value of n for which the system never enters into deadlock is

Q. Dirty bit is used to show the

Q. Suppose for a process P, reference to pages in order are 1,2,4,5,2,1,2,4. Assume that main memory can accommodate 3 pages and the main memory has already 1 and 2 in the order 1 – first, 2 – second. At this moment, assume FIFO Page Replacement Algorithm is used then the number of page faults that occur to complete the execution of process P is

Q. Suppose P, Q and R are co-operating processes satisfying Mutual Exclusion condition. Then, if the process Q is executing in its critical section then

Q. A process residing in Main Memory and Ready and Waiting for execution, is kept on

Q. At a particular time of computation, the value of a counting semaphore is 10. Then 12 P operations and “x” V operations were performed on this semaphore. If the final value of semaphore is 7, x will be:

Q. In a multi-user operating system, 30 requests are made to use a particular resource per hour, on an average. The probability that no requests are made in 40 minutes, when arrival pattern is a poisson distribution, is ...............

Q. Normally user programs are prevented from handling I/O directly by I/O instructions in them. For CPUs having explicit I/O instructions, such I/O protection is ensured by having the I/O instructions privileged. In a CPU with memory mapped I/O, there is no explicit I/O instruction. Which one of the following is true for a CPU with memory mapped I/O?

Q. Which of the following statements are true?

(a) External Fragmentation exists when there is enough total memory space to satisfy a request but the available space is contiguous.
(b) Memory Fragmentation can be internal as well as external.
(c) One solution to external Fragmentation is compaction.

Q. Page information in memory is also called as Page Table. The essential contents in each entry of a page table is/are ....................

Q. Consider a virtual page reference string 1, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 2, 3, 4. Suppose LRU page replacement algorithm is implemented with 3 page frames in main memory. Then the number of page faults are .................

Q. In which of the following scheduling criteria, context switching will never take place?

Q. In Distributed system, the capacity of a system to adapt the increased service load is called .................

Q. In .................... disk scheduling algorithm, the disk head moves from one end to other end of the disk, serving the requests along the way. When the head reaches the other end, it immediately returns to the beginning of the disk without serving any requests on the return trip.

Q. Suppose there are six files F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6 with corresponding sizes 150 KB, 225KB, 75 KB, 60 KB, 275 KB and 65 KB respectively. The files are to be stored on a sequential device in such a way that optimizes access time. In what order should the files be stored?

Q. Which module gives control of the CPU to the process selected by the short - term scheduler?

Q. Two atomic operations permissible on Semaphores are .................. and ...............

Q. Consider the following four schedules due to three transactions (indicated by the subscript) using read and write on a data item X, denoted by r(X) and w(X) respectively. Which one of them is conflict serializable?

S1 : r1(X); r2(X); w1(X); r3(X); w2(X)
S2 : r2(X); r1(X); w2(X); r3(X); w1(X)
S3 : r3(X); r2(X); r1(X); w2(X); w1(X)
S4 : r2(X); w2(X); r3(X); r1(X); w1(X)

Q. Suppose a database schedule S involves transactions T1, T2, .............,Tn. Consider the precedence graph of S with vertices representing the transactions and edges representing the conflicts. If S is serializable, which one of the following orderings of the vertices of the precedence graph is guaranteed to yield a serial schedule?