adplus-dvertising
frame-decoration

Question

Consider an arbitrary set of CPU-bound processes with unequal CPU burst lengths submitted at the same time to a computer system. Which one of the following process scheduling algorithms would minimize the average waiting time in the ready queue?

a.

Shortest remaining time first

b.

Round-robin with time quantum less than the shortest CPU burst

c.

Uniform random

d.

Highest priority first with priority proportional to CPU burst length

Answer: (a).Shortest remaining time first

Engage with the Community - Add Your Comment

Confused About the Answer? Ask for Details Here.

Know the Explanation? Add it Here.

Q. Consider an arbitrary set of CPU-bound processes with unequal CPU burst lengths submitted at the same time to a computer system. Which one of the following process scheduling...

Similar Questions

Discover Related MCQs

Q. Assume every process requires 3 seconds of service time in a system with single processor. If new processes are arriving at the rate of 10 processes per minute, then estimate the fraction of time CPU is busy in system?

Q. Consider the following code fragment:

if (fork() == 0)
{ a = a + 5; printf("%d,%d\n", a, &a); }
else { a = a –5; printf("%d, %d\n", a, &a); }

Let u, v be the values printed by the parent process, and x, y be the values printed by the child process. Which one of the following is TRUE?

Q. The atomic fetch-and-set x, y instruction unconditionally sets the memory location x to 1 and fetches the old value of x in y without allowing any intervening access to the memory location x. consider the following implementation of P and V functions on a binary semaphore .

void P (binary_semaphore *s) {
unsigned y;
unsigned *x = &(s->value);
do {
fetch-and-set x, y;
} while (y);
}

void V (binary_semaphore *s) {
S->value = 0;
}

Which one of the following is true?

Q. Three concurrent processes X, Y, and Z execute three different code segments that access and update certain shared variables. Process X executes the P operation (i.e., wait) on semaphores a, b and c; process Y executes the P operation on semaphores b, c and d; process Z executes the P operation on semaphores c, d, and a before entering the respective code segments. After completing the execution of its code segment, each process invokes the V operation (i.e., signal) on its three semaphores. All semaphores are binary semaphores initialized to one. Which one of the following represents a deadlockfree order of invoking the P operations by the processes?

Q. A shared variable x, initialized to zero, is operated on by four concurrent processes W, X, Y, Z as follows. Each of the processes W and X reads x from memory, increments by one, stores it to memory, and then terminates. Each of the processes Y and Z reads x from memory, decrements by two, stores it to memory, and then terminates. Each process before reading x invokes the P operation (i.e., wait) on a counting semaphore S and invokes the V operation (i.e., signal) on the semaphore S after storing x to memory. Semaphore S is initialized to two. What is the maximum possible value of x after all processes complete execution?

Q. A process executes the code
fork();
fork();
fork();
The total number of child processes created is

Q. Fetch_And_Add(X,i) is an atomic Read-Modify-Write instruction that reads the value of memory location X, increments it by the value i, and returns the old value of X. It is used in the pseudocode shown below to implement a busy-wait lock. L is an unsigned integer shared variable initialized to 0. The value of 0 corresponds to lock being available, while any non-zero value corresponds to the lock being not available.

AcquireLock(L){
while (Fetch_And_Add(L,1))
L = 1;
}
ReleaseLock(L){
L = 0;
}

This implementation

Q. The time taken to switch between user and kernel modes of execution be t1 while the time taken to switch between two processes be t2. Which of the following is TRUE?

Q. A thread is usually defined as a "light weight process" because an operating system (OS) maintains smaller data structures for a thread than for a process. In relation to this, which of the following is TRUE?

Q. Consider the methods used by processes P1 and P2 for accessing their critical sections whenever needed, as given below. The initial values of shared boolean variables S1 and S2 are randomly assigned.

Method Used by P1
while (S1 == S2) ;
Critica1 Section
S1 = S2;

Method Used by P2
while (S1 != S2) ;
Critica1 Section
S2 = not (S1);

Which one of the following statements describes the properties achieved?

Q. The enter_CS() and leave_CS() functions to implement critical section of a process are realized using test-and-set instruction as follows:

void enter_CS(X)
{
while test-and-set(X) ;
}
void leave_CS(X)
{
X = 0;
}

In the above solution, X is a memory location associated with the CS and is initialized to 0. Now consider the following statements: I. The above solution to CS problem is deadlock-free II. The solution is starvation free. III. The processes enter CS in FIFO order. IV More than one process can enter CS at the same time. Which of the above statements is TRUE?

Q. The P and V operations on counting semaphores, where s is a counting semaphore, are defined as follows:

P(s) : s = s - 1;
if (s < 0) then wait;
V(s) : s = s + 1;
if (s <= 0) then wakeup a process waiting on s;

Assume that Pb and Vb the wait and signal operations on binary semaphores are provided. Two binary semaphores Xb and Yb are used to implement the semaphore operations P(s) and V(s) as follows:

P(s) : Pb(Xb);
s = s - 1;
if (s < 0) {
Vb(Xb) ;
Pb(Yb) ;
}
else Vb(Xb);

V(s) : Pb(Xb) ;
s = s + 1;
if (s <= 0) Vb(Yb) ;
Vb(Xb) ;
The initial values of Xb and Yb are respectively.

Q. A process executes the following code

for (i = 0; i < n; i++) fork();

The total number of child processes created is

Q. Consider the following statements about user level threads and kernel level threads. Which one of the following statement is FALSE?

Q. Two processes, P1 and P2, need to access a critical section of code. Consider the following synchronization construct used by the processes:Here, wants1 and wants2 are shared variables, which are initialized to false. Which one of the following statements is TRUE about the above construct?

/* P1 */
while (true) {
wants1 = true;
while (wants2 == true);
/* Critical
Section */
wants1=false;
}
/* Remainder section */

/* P2 */
while (true) {
wants2 = true;
while (wants1==true);
/* Critical
Section */
wants2 = false;
}
/* Remainder section */

Q. Which one of the following is FALSE?

Q. Consider two processors P1 and P2 executing the same instruction set. Assume that under identical conditions, for the same input, a program running on P2 takes 25% less time but incurs 20% more CPI (clock cycles per instruction) as compared to the program running on P1. If the clock frequency of P1 is 1GHz, then the clock frequency of P2 (in GHz) is _________.

Q. Barrier is a synchronization construct where a set of processes synchronizes globally i.e. each process in the set arrives at the barrier and waits for all others to arrive and then all processes leave the barrier. Let the number of processes in the set be three and S be a binary semaphore with the usual P and V functions. Consider the following C implementation of a barrier with line numbers shown on left.

void barrier (void) {
1: P(S);
2: process_arrived++;
3. V(S);
4: while (process_arrived !=3);
5: P(S);
6: process_left++;
7: if (process_left==3) {
8: process_arrived = 0;
9: process_left = 0;
10: }
11: V(S);
}

The variables process_arrived and process_left are shared among all processes and are initialized to zero. In a concurrent program all the three processes call the barrier function when they need to synchronize globally. The above implementation of barrier is incorrect. Which one of the following is true?

Q. Barrier is a synchronization construct where a set of processes synchronizes globally i.e. each process in the set arrives at the barrier and waits for all others to arrive and then all processes leave the barrier. Let the number of processes in the set be three and S be a binary semaphore with the usual P and V functions. Consider the following C implementation of a barrier with line numbers shown on left.

void barrier (void) {
1: P(S);
2: process_arrived++;
3. V(S);
4: while (process_arrived !=3);
5: P(S);
6: process_left++;
7: if (process_left==3) {
8: process_arrived = 0;
9: process_left = 0;
10: }
11: V(S);
}

The variables process_arrived and process_left are shared among all processes and are initialized to zero. In a concurrent program all the three processes call the barrier function when they need to synchronize globally. Which one of the following rectifies the problem in the implementation?

Q. Consider two processes P1 and P2 accessing the shared variables X and Y protected by two binary semaphores SX and SY respectively, both initialized to 1. P and V denote the usual semaphone operators, where P decrements the semaphore value, and V increments the semaphore value. The pseudo-code of P1 and P2 is as follows :

P1 :
While true do {
L1 : ................
L2 : ................
X = X + 1;
Y = Y - 1;
V(SX);
V(SY);
}

P2 :
While true do {
L3 : ................
L4 : ................
Y = Y + 1;
X = Y - 1;
V(SY);
V(SX);
}

In order to avoid deadlock, the correct operators at L1, L2, L3 and L4 are respectively