adplus-dvertising
frame-decoration

Question

Among the following given scenarios determine the right one to justify interrupt mode of data-transfer.

a.

Bulk transfer of several kilo-byte

b.

Moderately large data transfer but more that 1 KB

c.

Short events like mouse action

d.

None of the above

Answer: (c).Short events like mouse action

Engage with the Community - Add Your Comment

Confused About the Answer? Ask for Details Here.

Know the Explanation? Add it Here.

Q. Among the following given scenarios determine the right one to justify interrupt mode of data-transfer.

Similar Questions

Discover Related MCQs

Q. Normally user programs are prevented from handling I/O directly by I/O instructions in them. For CPUs having explicit I/O instructions, such I/O protection is ensured by having the I/O instructions privileged. In a CPU with memory mapped I/O, there is no explicit I/O instruction. Which one of the following is true for a CPU with memory mapped I/O?

Q. Which of the following disk scheduling policies results in minimum amount of head movement.

Q. Consider a hard disk with 16 recording surfaces (0-15) having 16384 cylinders (0-16383) and each cylinder contains 64 sectors (0-63). Data storage capacity in each sector is 512 bytes. Data are organized cylinder-wise and the addressing format is (cylinder no., surface no., sector no.) . A file of size 42797 KB is stored in the disk and the starting disk location of the file is (1200, 9, 40). What is the cylinder number of the last sector of the file, if it is stored in a contiguous manner?

Q. A file system with 300 GByte disk uses a file descriptor with 8 direct block addresses, 1 indirect block address and 1 doubly indirect block address. The size of each disk block is 128 Bytes and the size of each disk block address is 8 Bytes. The maximum possible file size in this file system is

Q. A computer handles several interrupt sources of which the following are relevant for this question.

. Interrupt from CPU temperature sensor (raises interrupt if
CPU temperature is too high)
. Interrupt from Mouse(raises interrupt if the mouse is moved
or a button is pressed)
. Interrupt from Keyboard(raises interrupt when a key is
pressed or released)
. Interrupt from Hard Disk(raises interrupt when a disk
read is completed)

Which one of these will be handled at the HIGHEST priority?

Q. An application loads 100 libraries at start-up. Loading each library requires exactly one disk access. The seek time of the disk to a random location is given as 10 ms. Rotational speed of disk is 6000 rpm. If all 100 libraries are loaded from random locations on the disk, how long does it take to load all libraries? (The time to transfer data from the disk block once the head has been positioned at the start of the block may be neglected)

Q. A CPU generally handles an interrupt by executing an interrupt service routine

Q. A hard disk has 63 sectors per track, 10 platters each with 2 recording surfaces and 1000 cylinders. The address of a sector is given as a triple (c, h, s), where c is the cylinder number, h is the surface number and s is the sector number. Thus, the 0th sector is addressed as (0, 0, 0), the 1st sector as (0, 0, 1), and so on The address (400,16,29) corresponds to sector number:

Q. The data blocks of a very large file in the Unix file system are allocated using

Q. For a magnetic disk with concentric circular tracks, the seek latency is not linearly proportional to the seek distance due to

Q. Which of the following statements about synchronous and asynchronous I/O is NOT true?

Q. Consider a disk pack with 16 surfaces, 128 tracks per surface and 256 sectors per track. 512 bytes of data are stored in a bit serial manner in a sector. The capacity of the disk pack and the number of bits required to specify a particular sector in the disk are respectively:

Q. Suppose a disk has 201 cylinders, numbered from 0 to 200. At some time the disk arm is at cylinder 100, and there is a queue of disk access requests for cylinders 30, 85, 90, 100, 105, 110, 135 and 145. If Shortest-Seek Time First (SSTF) is being used for scheduling the disk access, the request for cylinder 90 is serviced after servicing ____________ number of requests.

Q. A device with data transfer rate 10 KB/sec is connected to a CPU. Data is transferred byte-wise. Let the interrupt overhead be 4 msec. The byte transfer time between the device interface register and CPU or memory is negligible. What is the minimum performance gain of operating the device under interrupt mode over operating it under program controlled mode?

Q. Consider a disk drive with the following specifications: 16 surfaces, 512 tracks/surface, 512 sectors/track, 1 KB/sector, rotation speed 3000 rpm. The disk is operated in cycle stealing mode whereby whenever one byte word is ready it is sent to memory; similarly, for writing, the disk interface reads a 4 byte word from the memory in each DMA cycle. Memory cycle time is 40 nsec. The maximum percentage of time that the CPU gets blocked during DMA operation is:

Q. Consider an operating system capable of loading and executing a single sequential user process at a time. The disk head scheduling algorithm used is First Come First Served (FCFS). If FCFS is replaced by Shortest Seek Time First (SSTF), claimed by the vendor to give 50% better benchmark results, what is the expected improvement in the I/O performance of user programs?

Q. A Unix-style i-node has 10 direct pointers and one single, one double and one triple indirect pointers. Disk block size is 1 Kbyte, disk block address is 32 bits, and 48-bit integers are used. What is the maximum possible file size ?

Q. A hard disk with a transfer rate of 10 Mbytes/ second is constantly transferring data to memory using DMA. The processor runs at 600 MHz, and takes 300 and 900 clock cycles to initiate and complete DMA transfer respectively. If the size of the transfer is 20 Kbytes, what is the percentage of processor time consumed for the transfer operation ?

Q. Using a larger block size in a fixed block size file system leads to :

Q. Which of the following requires a device driver?